Monday 30 November 2009

Book review Week 2 - Jocelyn Bain Hogg

I first came across Jocelyn's work whilst I was looking at Skinnydip the agency I did my internship with last year, The firm a collection of black and white photographs looking at the extensive underworld of organised crime here in the UK, shot on Leica M6 and R8 cameras and lenses. Jocelyn's work gets us behind the scenes of this seedy industry, his approach feels that not of an outsider but of someone who is accepted by these gangsters. from life to deaf Jocelyn hasn't just focused on the highs but shows life and deaf of his subject. Neither glamorising nor judges, this work gives an honest view of their lives.
Images © Jocelyn Bain Hogg









































1 comment:

Tom said...

I got his book in the middle of last term.

What makes it a bit of a let down for me is that the individual images lack any context. Its punctuated by the short stories about the 'characters' which are interesting but don't link in with the final edit of images in a way that i find conclusive.

I like that Jocelyn steps back and does not explicitly judge, at the same time it does by being a story about 'gangsters' (a story which is interesting because they are gangsters, because that lifestyle is interesting?) glamorize that way of life.

Personally i think it fails as an interesting story because it fails to convince me that these lives are anything but a strange mix of abhorrent and ignorant violence.